Monday, August 6, 2012

Wings to Fly


Travel teaches toleration - Benjamin Disraeli

When reading this quote for the first time, it's understood that travel teaches us to tolerate with the things we don't know and would be experiencing for the first time in another place. But then, this morning I woke up and I had this in mind - it teaches me to tolerate myself when I'm put in situations, of consequences I'll be facing and most importantly, to lower down my expectation of myself to be who I see myself to be rather than who I will become.

Confusing? Totally. 

Lately, I've come to realised that I have put myself in such an "unrealistic" expectation of myself and for every time I don't meet that standard, I would berate myself for it. So what does this have to do with traveling then?

I've been reading, learning as much as possible and revising what I've forgotten to prepare myself for my upcoming backpacking trip to Europe and as minutes passes by, I'm no where closer to where I see myself to be. It's ridiculous to think that I'm running against myself. For what? No idea really.

So, even before I step foot in the aircraft, travel has taught me this:

1. To take my time in learning what is needed
2. To accept that you can never be too prepared
3. Enjoy
4. Live
5. Anticipate

I know at the end of the day, I'll make do with what I have while traveling but I'm not sure why this time around, this trip makes me push myself hard to be more prepared. All my other trips has never been like this, not even my last backpacking trip to Europe. I've always been that girl who just have what's needed and the rest will fall into places.

When have I changed and become an entirely new person?

When technology made it more accessible to travel I guess.

To be honest, this would be the first time I'll be traveling with a smartphone that has all the apps I need and even then I'm not sure if I want to use it. I have to agree, the apps and information made available out in the cyberspace are only meant for us to use it as best as we can but I feel as if I have this "need" to know it all.

Let's go back to basic. A month in Europe all requires me to bring 2 pants, and 5 shirts, a cardigan, a jacket and one pair of shoes. A book, some music, camera (yet to fix the comatose dlsr) and a lost soul. Everything else, I will have to reconsider. I know I'll be bringing my trusty o' Sony Eriksson phone from the past to last me through the trip. 

Reading back what I've written here just opened my eyes to who I need to be when I leave in  17 days. For some reason, I feel so much lighter on my shoulders now. 

I've never been ready in any of my travels and I came back happier than ever. Therefore, this trip shouldn't be any different yet it is. 

Close an eye and take a leap of faith Dian.

No comments:

Post a Comment