Monday, June 25, 2012

Home is Where the Heart is


I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself. - Maya Angelou

There are many reasons why people like to travel - see the world, meet new people or even to start fresh. Whatever your reason is, go for it. Maybe for some of us, we can only go so far, but even then, I would definitely encourage all of us to go out. It doesn't matter if it's a 10 minutes walk out to the park or moving to another country. The point here is so that you'll have a broader mind to understand how the world works. 


I for one find travelling therapeutic. 

It's when I find myself in places where I don't feel so strange or out of place that I know I've finally arrived. Finally have a place to call it home. That's when I know I can just be myself, away from things I don't have to deal with at the moment. 

Rolling down the hill in Ludlow, anyone?

A running away scheme sort of. 

I understand myself deeper when I travel, emotionally and spiritually. Maybe because I get to put reality on hold. Able to explore the possibilities of what I could do, much like an idea of what my alternate universe would be like. 

You would say it sounds like a soul searching path.

In a way, yes.

Breathtaking view of Jaipur
On a more direct approach, I'm searching for that home feeling. Places that has a sense of belonging to me. Safe to be me.

I remember when I was in Jakarta when I discovered that home feeling. It wasn't the first time I was away but it was certainly the first time when I didn't feel like an outcast. I suppose it has a lot to do with the people there. They don't judge you on your looks or status. You are human, much like them. What separates the good ones from the bad is the character.

Oddly enough, I don't feel the same here. I came back feeling dumbfounded for a few weeks after that. Never thought there is such a feeling. Ever.

Perhaps some people may think I'm not patriotic about my own country. On the contrary my friend, if you know the work I do, then you will know me better than that. I just don't know what went wrong. Either I was born in the wrong century or so happened to be an alien. Either ways, I find difficulty adjusting despite living here all my life.

Hanging out in Bingen
I guess different people have different strokes?

Dunno.

What I know is, since then, the places I go to, I have moments of being at home. At ease. And that's my motivation to explore and be away. Often, this feeling occurs when I'm in old cities. It could be because I have an old soul..or associate the feeling with the books I've read while growing up. 

Old cities makes me feel home. There I've said it. 

Ludlow reminds me of The Secret Garden, Montserrat of Indiana Jones and Hardy Boys for Haarlem. 

It's kinda like exploring my own mind actually. Things I've only read and imagined actually existed in some parts of the world. 

Cozy looking house in Haarlem
I'm still looking forward to the day when I find the place that reminds me of the movie My Girl. That would be the ultimate home I'm sure.

Why do I feel this way? While growing up, these are the places I wish to have, to run away to; just a place to call my own. To be honest, I'm still finding my way in this world. Most of the time, I create this place in my head to go away. Now that I have the means, I search for these places. More often than not, I usually stumble upon those places.  

It's interesting to know that I feel home when I'm away.

Travel helps me manage my tendencies. Keeps me grounded and gives me a peace of mind. Overall, it teaches me to be receptive of Mother Nature, Him and people in whatever condition. 

An endearing moment at Lakeside
In a lot of ways, I can go as far and say that travelling save me from many things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment