Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Devil May Care


Secretly, I think MySelangorStory is trying to convert us all into food bloggers. The amount of food we ate.. even kings don't eat this much. Breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea, dinner and supper. Although, it is a good thing to eat 6 times a day as it burns more calories...(granted) if we eat moderately. Looking at the rate we were going.. moderate was a little bit further behind, I think.

Then again a schedule like Day 5, we probably needed all the energy so right after our "break" at Tropicana Medical Centre, we went to Frames, a concept restaurant outside Sunway Pyramid. There were a lot of trendy bars/restaurants and clubs around this area that I didn't know. Some are very interesting but because it's "trendy" therefore in a couple years down the road, it'll be yesterday's trend instead.

This Frames restaurant has an interesting concept. Like the name itself, the walls were decorated with multiple frame with photos (assuming they were all taken by different people). That was really nice actually.


It's got this contemporary minimal design theme going along the place with a dash of victorian-esque feel to it. One theme you'll see used by fashion boutiques around the city. It's just one of those "in" thing at the moment.

The thing is about trends, it comes and goes. Following a trend is something I don't really like. However, we live in a world where trend is taken seriously. I like to think that if you create a timeless idea, you'll be assured to never be forgotten. And not be used too often by others too.

Frames is a place I'll recommend for the camwhores. Because of it's decor, it makes such beautiful photos for people who love to take photos. That's the ticket to get people to come :)

The way the menu was presented on the table makes it feel somewhat like being in a wedding, a little dainty touch which is something different from the other restaurants. A nice presentation, I must say. It's a very design-y place. Would be a great attraction to those in the 18-35 years old group of people.


We had to choose among the many ala carte dishes to eat for lunch. After seeing Spectre's dory, I think that was one of the good choices. My spaghetti pomodoro sauce was a little too thick to digest. Tomato base pasta is usually lighter and easier to eat if you were to compare it with cream base but this was close to the creamy side. A little bit sad that I couldn't finished it. Maybe I'll come and try the grilled dory next time :)


After our heavy lunch, we were given with an all day all parks pass to Sunway Lagoon. Considering half the day had passed by, we only had a few more hours to spend in the theme park. This theme park is actually pretty huge, much much much bigger than the few times I've visited before. So it takes at least a day to cover the entire place.


This all parks pass is worth RM100 excluding RM10 deposit for the wristband(which we only found out when we read the fine prints at the back of the ticket) and a few other rides in the Xtreme Park. You'll get a discounted rate if you have your MyKad with you. If you would like to rent a locker, it's RM5.

Now that we're covered with the ground rules, we didn't want to waste anymore time not using this pass to the maximum.

Don't forget to apply sunblock cream on your skin. Even though Malaysia's weather is unpredictable at times, I would advised you to use it anyway.


Thank god for Denise who brought her sunblock along in her backpack. Although I got tanned after the Sunway Lagoon escapade, I would've been darker without it :) The first ride we all went together was the Grand Canyon River Rapids. A ride I've been dying to go for ages and I finally got to do it!


We then went to this giant slide thing that my heart insisted in taking a plunge out of my chest while sitting on the float. Sorry Nicole for causing your back to hurt :/ God that was really scary. Super duper scary 90 degress down the slope! Holy mother of all crazy rides.

Since I've already established myself regarding not being the fun-est person on earth when it comes to theme parks, I immediately took the liberty to take care of other people's belongings while they go for the other mad rides and horror house.


They even went to this ride that went 360 degrees. Crap.


They are truly the daredevils living among us. I must salute Wen Yi for her tenacity to brainwash me so that I'll go for the rides but she too gave up in the end :) I like watching people. So I don't mind standing on the side :)


This is just beyond madness. I may be crazy but not crazy enough to go to all these rides. Haha! Yes call me chicken or as Alid would say "Fried Chicken", it's allllll goooooood baby.

Crossing the world's longest suspension bridge wasn't as frightening as I thought it would be. I manage to walk and look down at ease. Canopy bridge is a whole different story! I don't even know how I got to walk all the way from the lowest level right up to the top alive.

On the suspension bridge is where people can do bungee jumping. Err, excuse me, what?! On the suspension bridge? Right. Okaaay.

Tian Chad went for it and even at his size, as he dived downwards, his head dipped into the pool. A little bit scary that one. If you really want to go for bungee jump, please head over to New Zealand instead. There used to be one in Menara Kuala Lumpur but not anymore. This is one of the rides you have to pay, RM50 with MyKad. Well, at least it comes with a certificate :)

Flying fox looked cool. That is, if you're willing to wait for 2 hours queuing up.

There's the reverse bungee but it didn't looked as extreme as the one I went at Menara KL. A tamer version but still not for the faint of heart ok? It's an awesome ride nonetheless! I had fun being in it. Thrown off to the sky in a ball :) Crazy crazy.


We then decided to queue for the All Terrain Vehicle(ATV) and archery. Both are free to try with our passes. I'm aware that the ATV in Sunway Lagoon is nothing like the real ATV experience in the jungle but because it's ATV, I'm all game for it. Like the name itself, it's called ATV Scenic trail so you'll be able to go around the park on a quad bike.

When it was our turn to ride it. I noticed the guide who rode with us only told us the stop/start button and breaks. And not to place our legs close to the engine. Then we're off. Mid way going through the red earth trail, Alid wasn't able to control his bike and hit the divider.

THIS WAS WHEN I GOT PISSED.

Not at Alid. But at the management of Sunway Lagoon.

Thankfully when Alid lost control of his bike, he was opposite me, so I was aware of the situation. Why would I be losing my mind over some little thing? Because.. those who hasn't ride an ATV before will have this natural instinct to stop the vehicle by placing their foot out. WHICH IS A DEFINITE NO NO.

Any qualified instructor for ATV knows this for safety reasons.

I quickly asked him to lift his foot off, didn't want his foot to get injured by the tyres or worst the hot engine. All the guide in front of me did was just look for a moment and then told him to steer it the right way. Things like this wouldn't have happened had we were briefed properly you know.

Nevermind that.

After the ride was over, I saw Spectre walking uncomfortably. He told me his back heel hit the tyre when he tried to stop the bike with his foot.

HMMMMMMMMMMM.......

I rode an ATV along with my other 3 friends in Kemensah, in the jungle with mud, in the rain, on a steep hill with massive holes inbetween for 2 hours and none of us came back with injuries or had accidents. Some of us got stuck in the mud but that's a given. And this is because the people who run the ATV Adventure Park are all professionals and stressed the importance of safety before/during/after we got on the bike.

Honestly, nobody wants something bad to happen to them so the only way is for everyone to play their roles. Then if anything did happen after that, it's just meant to be.

Later, Some of us decided to go on the trampoline. It looked fun. And it was fun for the first few minutes. It's one of the activities that challenges your stamina (with the harness on that is). Because there were 3 of us on the trampoline and only 2 employees working, one of us had to be suspended because they couldn't manage 3 people at the same time.

This was when I started to feel the pain creeping from the harness. As they tried to shuffle between the 3 of us, someone else was left behind. So it wasn't fun anymore. Max even got stuck in the middle as the 2 employees were arguing in front of him and left him suspended on his own.

Now I can understand why Sunway Lagoon injury stories comes up more often than any other theme parks. Their own management were not even focusing at what their doing. No, actually they weren't even doing their job. Go figure why there's death stories happened in this theme park before.

Sure, Sunway Lagoon is not responsible for any injuries or death happened to the visitors but such a thing wouldn't happened IF their own employees were hands on with what they are suppose to do.

It's easy for us to spend our money for entertainment, especially with the kind of "facilities" Sunway offers but seriously, with this kind of treatment, I wouldn't want to spend any more money here.

I do hope the management will take this issue seriously. I believe it would do wonders to everyone on their side and their visitors :) I'm sure the rides were really fun but safety is very crucial when running a big place like this.

With so little time left, we all rushed to the hotel to get ready for our Grand Dinner. I'm not kidding when I wrote Grand. Hello, Lobster Thermidor for appetizer yo!

My last post for Day 5 Part 3 will be dedicated to our awesome sponsor at..... oh you have to wait for the next post for that ;)

If you agree, disagree or feel indifferent, come share your views with me :) I'd love to hear them. And if you think this deserves a vote, click MySelangorStory Day 5.

16 comments:

  1. Food, foodie, food lagi...

    Am starting leave next week. Take me for breakkie!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can! Or would you prefer Bihun Sup Utara? :)

    Yes we were fed like kings ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg...i didnt know that spectre got injured during ATV, neither did i know about Max being suspended at the trampoline. man...i must seriously pay more attention to details next time.

    and i've told you this before, but seriously, it's a great read!!! *5 stars!!!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. That means you were really having fun :D Tadah!! But yeah just not so great on the safety part other it's all good.

    Wah! Thank you thank you my dearest weneism :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comfort food is always breakkie babeh :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ehem, what kind of comfort brekkie do you have in mind madam? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. look at the bright side, we can go back to genting and see me in action again ! >< ! XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahah! So now it's Spectre the Magician? :) Make someone fly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a very honest write up on the safety of sunway lagoon theme park which should be taken positvely by its management should they read this as this park attracts not only the locals but also foreigners who place safety above all when it comes to such thrills

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Anonymous for looking at the bright side of this post which I was quite sure Sunway may not like. But yes, like you, my comments are purely constructive so they will improve. Thank you again for reading and sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try try! Experience of a lifetime. Tapi this one in Sunway don't have a certificate like the one Menara KL did. Still it's an awesome time cuz there's a camera in the ball recording your actions :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, I really didn't notice this. I was considered lucky not trying everything in the Extreme Park then. Well written! Finally heard a different side of the story. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah! There was a good reason why your wristband wasn't on you for that trip then huh? Oh hey, never got around to know what happened next when you checked out at Sunway Lagoon. Yeah, I think this part of the story needs to be told. Glad you're taking it as a positive one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha yeah that is my first time riding the ATV, I think is easy coz in my kampung I ride a motorcycle hehe... its quite hard actually T__T

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) Good thing you didn't get injured. Yeah! My first time was hard too!

    ReplyDelete